Fireman, police officers, and soldiers have some of the most dangerous jobs—there’s no question about it. But, if you work in an office, you may be risking your life as well. Studies have proven that those who sit for long periods of time are at a high risk of developing chronic diseases. By sitting at your desk all day, you’re increasing your chances for high blood pressure, obesity, diabetes, and depression, along with several more health problems.
It’s not too late to make a change! Follow these simple tips to incorporate more movement into your workday without interrupting your workflow:
- Take the stairs. Skip the elevator! This is an excellent and simple way to improve your health and add physical activity to your day. Taking the stairs burns calories, increases your heart rate, and helps to build muscles. And it’s free!
- Turn your desk into a standing workstation. Standing workstations, bike desks, and treadmill desks are becoming more and more popular. If you aren’t ready to invest yet, you can create your own standing workstation by raising your work surface to the desired height. You can use a stool for when you need a break from standing.
- Take breaks. Every hour or two take a break to stretch or walk around the office. Stretching and even some low impact exercises like crunches, push-ups, and lunges get your body moving and your blood flowing.
- Interact with coworkers in person. Have a question for a co-worker? Go back to the days before there were computers. Don’t shoot an e-mail, text or instant message, walk over and talk to them face-to-face.
- Stand as often as your can. Standing burns more calories and uses more muscles than sitting. So, try to stand whenever you have the opportunity to. Stand when talking to co-workers, whenever you’re on the telephone, and even during group meetings.
These may seem like small changes, but every step counts. Implementing these tips into your daily routine has potential for great results. By including more movement, you are increasing your metabolism and blood flow, which will improve your energy and productivity throughout the day.
Call Source One today to find out how we can help you create a healthier workplace for you and your employees at (888) 451-0088. We’re the one source you’ll need.